The Quaker Settlement
The Quaker Settlement, established in 1976, is also known as Friends Settlement and locally as Quaker Acres. An intentional community with a residential seminar centre at its heart, it is set in 20 acres of farmland and planting on the outskirts of Wanganui, a provincial city of 43,000. We prefer to spell the city "Whanganui" in keeping with local Maori wishes. Currently 23 Settlers range in age from preschool to Friends in their 70s. The site is noted for its quiet, peaceful atmosphere.
Settlement Seminar Programme
The seminar centre is surrounded by 16 individual houses occupied by the Friends who comprise the community, care for the centre and run an annual Quaker programme, all on a voluntary basis.
See the Settlement Seminar Programme for this year.
Silver Wattle Australian Quaker Centre
- spiritual formation and prayer
- Quaker heritage and processes in decision-making and reconciliation
- Preparing for active witness in non-violent social change
- training in sustainable living
- a meeting space within the setting of a Spirit-led Quaker community
Cick here to see the latest developments, as at Jan 2013
|Article SW 2014-2016 final.doc||32.5 KB|